This is a list of personal and professional projects I’m working on and where they currently stand as we close 2018 and welcome 2019. With all its ups and downs, 2018 was a good year for me in terms of my work. I started writing regularly by doing daily blog posts during the work week for almost six months, which then led me to get back to writing fiction, and editing my existing fiction, then to expanding my nonfiction work. While I wish I could’ve done more writing all around, when considering the drought I had been going through in the last few years, this felt positively torrential. Still, not everything I set out to do got done, so with that in mind, we turn to figure out where we are, and where we’re going.
LIVE PROJECTS – What I’m actively working on.
- Rhymes With Seen zine – This is my main project for 2019, a quarterly zine packed with essays, op eds, memoirs, and some fiction. I’ve already released a Prologue issue, and the first issue is planned for February. I’m excited to work in the zine format this year and see how it helps my work and productivity.
- Blog: Daniel/Highmoon – Blogging is here to stay. I loved getting back to writing regular blog posts, and while I need to slow down the rate at which I release new posts in order to dedicate time to other projects, there will certainly be regular posts in the new year.
- Fiction: One Foot In Front Of The Other – I did my best to get this novel edited for release in 2018 but there’s still a lot to be done. I continue working on it, and it’ll be released when it’s done.
- Fiction: Starfall (The Star Chronicles) – I began work on this novel which picks up right where my short story Ufaratza ends, and chronicling the further adventures of Captain Marina Estrella and the crew of the Star. No time estimate on this project, I’ll keep writing and it’ll be done when it’s done.
SHELVED – Off my plate for now.
- Patreon – I’ve paused the Patreon for January 2019, but I don’t think it’ll be coming back. Eventually I’ll write a detailed blog post why I don’t think Patreon works for me at this point.
- Game: Don’t You Forget About Me – Shelved but not forgotten. I have a feeling this will end up as a zine project.
- Game: Unnamed Fantasy Project – It continues to brew on the backburner of my mind.
I have basically restructured my work so that Rhymes With Seen becomes the primary project since it can also absorb other smaller projects into its pages. The blog will continue, with some of the content eventually ending up in the zine. Beyond these and editing my novel, I think it’s better if I don’t commit to anything until it’s ready to be released. I had lofty plans when 2018 started, plans that didn’t quite survive slamming onto the reality of life through the year. I want to avoid that in 2019. It doesn’t mean I won’t work on anything else other than the zine, it means that I won’t go squawking about it until I have something finished or almost-finished to show for it. Manage expectations and all that.
I learned a lot in 2018, and those lessons are now being put to use in the zine project and my general work flow for the new year. I’m excited about what 2019 will bring, and I hope you’ll come along for the ride.