This is a list of personal and professional projects I’m working on and where they currently stand midway through 2018. I’m calling this update Course Correction because I am adjusting my worklist based on what works for the time I’ll have available in the second half of the year as we prepare to welcome our second daughter. I’m also adjusting because, to be honest, I overestimated what I would be able to do given the demands on my time from my family life and day job. By acknowledging this reality and adjusting my worklist, I can actually accomplish tasks and goals, and hopefully complete projects, instead of constantly floundering with lots of projects that don’t go anywhere.
LIVE PROJECTS – What I’m actively working on.
- Blog: Daniel/Highmoon – I’m including the blog this time around because it is as much a project and requires allocation of my limited resources as any of the other listed ones. I’m changing the posting frequency to at least three times a week with no set days. I’m hoping this will give me more time to dedicate to other projects while still keeping the blog up to date and alive.
- Fiction: One Foot In Front Of The Other – Confession: I was terrible about working on this project for the last three months. That said, I printed out the manuscript to work on edits while I went on vacation, and it’s been fantastic. My trusty red pen and I are a third of the way through, and I’ll be doing at least three pages every day until it’s all done. Still hoping to have the book ready for publishing before the end of the year.
- Fiction: The Star – I recently started work on a new story based on an idea that’s been kicking around my head for years, and while it’s been slow going mostly due to time availability, I am so happy to be writing fiction again. As of this post, I have around 3500 words and a clear idea of where the story is going next. I don’t know if this will be a short story, novella, or novel; I’ll just keep writing until the story is told and we’ll see.
SHELVED – Off my plate for now.
- Game: Don’t You Forget About Me – I haven’t done any design work on this game since my last update, although I continue to think about it on and off. I’m not calling it a dead project because I know what I want to do with it, and have slowly been realizing how I want to do it, but it isn’t something I’m working on in any way at the moment.
- Game: Unnamed Fantasy Project – I continue to think about this game but no design work has been done. I accept that this one is gonna take a while, and don’t stress about it.
- Essay: Gaming/Travel-related Project – Dead in the water for now. Might be resurrected next year as part of a different project.
As you can see my interest at the moment is entirely my fiction work, with the blog affording me the space I need to indulge in other areas of interest in short, manageable form, and to experiment with ideas that may or may not develop into full-on projects. This is especially true of my work in games, which while it got bumped off my plate for the next quarter, will benefit of some ideas I’ve been working on and which will be shared on the blog soon.